We vs Us. Episode 6- What about settling down?

At the Gym

Danielle’s phone rings as she steps out from the bathroom.

Danielle: hello babe, what’s up?
Olivia: We’re at the boutique waiting for you. Where are you?
Danielle: I’m at the gym. The session today was really exhausting and the trainer went all the way.
Olivia: All the way huh? I know what you’ve spent all morning doing so get your ass here soon enough. The girls are all waiting.
Danielle: (laughs sheepishly knowing she had been caught) I’m on my way.



 It’s another Saturday and the girls meet at their usual place; Cara’s boutique. They’re all at the boutique discussing and waiting for Danielle to arrive.

“So girls what’s the latest?” Janet asks going through her phone. It was a habit as she always went through her phone or laptop. She was simply never less busy. It was a wonder how she always made time for their met ups on Saturday. “It seems like everyone has an event these days. It’s either a birthday party, an engagement, a child dedication or a house warming. Almost everything calls for a celebration.” Olivia says eating from her pack of small chops. 

‘Means business is booming then. Why do you sound like it’s a problem?” Cara asks. “I mean not everything requires a celebration, and it’s actually stressful planning these events sometimes. I’ve been planning this particular engagement for so long and they keep postponing.” Olivia replies. “Please let them keep having these events oh! so they’ll be buying more dresses. I need to feed my child and pay school fees” Cara says.

“Ama? You haven’t said much today. What’s wrong?” Janet asks looking towards Amanda. “He hasn’t bothered to call since he left for Abuja. I’ve sent a ton of messages and called but no reply. I don’t know what to do.” Amanda says agitated.
 “But I know what you should do.” Danielle chips in as she walks into the office. “Stay away from that time waster, concentrate on being a great lawyer, go out with friends, live your life to the fullest babe. That's what you should do."

“Late comer, do you even know who is she talking about?” Olivia asks. “Who else if not lord of the rings himself, Kelechi. I don’t know how you even cope with that guy.” Danielle says. The girls all laugh in unison except from Amanda. 
 “Danielle! Is it your man? Ahn ahn! You come in late, you haven’t even said hi to us and you’re already giving opinion on the subject.” Amanda says almost angry. “Oh my bad! Hi girls! Hope y’all are doing great today” Danielle says and takes a seat beside Cara. ‘’So does that change the fact that he hasn’t called you madam?” Danielle asks with a sneer.
 “No it doesn’t. But atleast I have someone to worry about and I don’t go around sleeping with everyone with a thingy dangling between their legs." Amanda replies. "Atleast they don't make me look older than my age." Danielle adds.

 "ermm, I got a new make up artist..” Janet says obviously feeling the tension and trying to change the subject. “You get a new make up artist almost everyday babe, its no news.” Cara says. “It’s a guy this time. I mean I didn’t know men ventured into the makeover business” Janet says drinking a bottle of water but still looking at her phone. 

“That’s so true! I need a make up artist tonight.” Danielle says as everyone looks towards her. “Danny! You’ve heard it’s a guy now and all of a sudden, you need a make up artist.” Olivia says. “Common, I’m serious. I have an exhibition tonight and my make up artist is out of town. Are you girls busy this evening? We could all go.” Danielle says while trying to look for the invite in her handbag.” “I’m not in the mood, I’m sorry.” Amanda says quickly. “As expected” Danielle retorts. 

“I have some scenes to shoot tonight. Sorry boo boo.” Janet says looking up from her laptop for the second time since she came. “I should be there, but I hope it wouldn’t last for so long. My nanny doesn’t stay for so long.” Cara says. “No it wouldn’t mummy! You just need to look really hot!”  Danielle says and turns to Olivia “you have no choice but to be there.” “Yes madam! We really have no choice. Silly girl.” Olivia replies. 


 At the exhibition later that day
“Hello, what do you want from me?” Olivia asks finally picking up her call after the 46th ring. “I want you, badly. I think I’ve made that clear from all my messages.” The voice over the phone says. “Fruity, is everything alright? You look quite strung.” Danielle says sipping from her glass of wine.

 “I didn’t want to mention this earlier, but I got on this dating site and since then, a certain ‘somebody’ has been bothering me.” “A dating site? Fruity common! What do you expect when you put your number up for grabs? I mean social media is enough...” Danielle says. “But I already took my number down. I’m not getting younger Danny, neither are you. Are we really going to continue like this? Exhibitions, dinners, parties? What about settling down and having children?” Olivia asks. “Are you saying this dating site you signed up for is the solution? Because you look clearly unhappy about it.” Danielle adds. 

 Olivia excuses herself as her phone rings again…

“Look who we have here, Danielle Barnes. What a lovely surprise!  I wasn’t expecting you to honour my invitation. It has been a while you know." Gloria says as she approaches Danielle. “Your art looks good Gloria, congratulations.” Danielle replies as her upper lip curls. “What do you expect from the best?” I mean they look better year after year. And you, you look quite just as expected today.” Gloria says and chuckles disdainfully.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts