RAGE. Final part

 "I think this would be our last session Doctor, Richard and I are done" I said sobbing.
 "I guess you finally realized what the problem is"
 "Yes Doctor, it was always, always, always..

The night before..
 "Fine I'm listening" he said as he looked up at me.
 "I know what's been going on and I totally understand that you feel inferior or less of a man because I earn more"
 "Excuse me?" He said as he shut down his laptop.
 "Yes Richard, if you so please, I can become a full time housewife and we'll begin to think of kids and.."
 "Are you kidding me? You really think I'm jealous of your success? He asked as his lower lip curled in disdain.
 "Well, yes and I think it's absolutely normal"
 "You're so cynical Annalisa, I won't have this conversation right now" he said as he stood up about to leave.
 "Run away like you always do, when would you face your fears Richard? Just admit it, your loved ones want to help you"
 "Scared? You think I'm scared? Did you mention loved ones? You're unbelievable Annalisa"
 "If you're not scared, then TALK TO ME. If there's someone else, let me know"


Just as he's about to turn the doorknob, 
he stops "You want to really know the problem? Fine then, I guess it's time"
 "Remember we decided to celebrate our anniversary on Valentine's Day instead? He asked as he took a seat. 
 "Yes I do"
 "Great! I was just out of town and we argued over the phone about your job but nonetheless, I was still going to arrive on Valentine's morning right?" 
 "And you did" 
 "You're wrong Anna, I didn't. I decided to surprise you so I got back the night before"
 "But Richard.."
 "Hold on, let me do the talking. And just as I was about screaming 'surprise', I hear your moans from the guest room. 
 "Richa..
 "I convinced myself deep down that it wasn't you you know? until I walked in to see Douglas just right on top of you" he said displeased.
 "Richard please, I can.."
 "No, I'm not done. You've always wanted to talk right? You know what hurts the most Anna? I had never seen you so ecstatic all through the years of our marriage"
 "Please allow me explain"
 "I kept asking myself 'wasn't I enough?' 'Is there something I didn't do right?' 'Were you always insatiable?" He asked as he spoke in tears. 
 "No Richard, I was angry, tired, lonely and vulnerable. I had one too many to drink and..
 "One too many Anna? I saw the euphoric look on your face while your kept screaming 'Yes Douglas'. You were  perfectly sane and quite happy" 
 "Richard I promise you, it meant nothing"
 "It meant nothing and you never bothered to mention it to me? How long were you both lovers?"
 "No Richard! It was a one time thing"
 "I loved you Anna, I swear I tried to forget about that night but your playtoy Douglas had the effrontery to bring it up"
 "You were the one who hospitalized him right?"
 "Yes and I'd have killed him if I got the chance. How could you both do this to me? You meant the world to me Anna. 
 "I love you too Richard"
 "You know, you know what he said? He claimed to be better in bed. He described every bit of your ordeal to my face. You have no idea how humiliating it was"
 "Richard, we can work this out, I never meant to hurt you. Can we please talk?
 "But you did Anna, you ruined me. You really still have something to talk about? I guess we're done here and we're over Anna, FOR GOOD!" He said as he stormed out 
 "Rich Richard please I beg you, we can work this out. Please!! 

Back at therapy.
 "It was always Douglas I presume?"
 "Yes, Richard knows I cheated on him. But how did you know it was Douglas?"
 "It was normal Anna, angry outburst or rage is a major reason why marriages fail. It's obvious your husband was offended by people he truly trusted and that's why he always kept to himself"
 "I didn't mean to hurt him" I said in tears.
 "But you did Anna. He expected you to mention it and since you didn't, he thought making life miserable was the best option. Your husband was clearly filled with RAGE"


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts