But I’m not.. Part 4


It’s blurry, my eyes feel so heavy and my head aches a lot. I wasn’t on my bed and definitely not at home. Hmm, drugs, smell of drugs...


“Where am I? What’s all these?” Chioma asks worried as she tries to sit up.  


“Calm down Chi, you’re in the hospital. You had an accident.” Mrs Obike, her mother says. 


“How? I’m supposed to be preparing for my wedding. Was the wedding cancelled already? Am I hurt? Can I still walk? Was the accident serious?...”


“I said calm down! See what you’re putting me through ehh..” her mother yells.  “You want to kill yourself just a few days before your wedding, do you want me to die young?” Her mum asks rhetorically. 


“I’m sorry mummy.” Chioma replies in a whimper. 


“The accident wasn’t severe but you hit your head very hard against the steering wheel.  Chi, I thought you could drive very well ehn. What happened? Her mother queries. 


“Mummy, what about Fola? Has he been here to see me?” Chioma asks. 


“He hasn’t oh. I called him earlier, but he was acting funny. I think he said he was busy or so, that your fiancé sef! Is that how he will be busy when you both are married?” Her mother says. 


“Mummy, we are having issues. Fola is not too busy to come and see me.” Chioma replies. 


“Ehn eh, issues Kwa! A few days to your wedding? What issues Biko?”


“I’m pregnant.” Chioma says quietly. 


“Ewuhhhh, that’s good news now. So what’s the issue there? Isn’t he the father? Wait, you’re pregnant for another man? Tufiaaaaa!” Her mother rebukes. 





“No mummy jor! we have been celibate for a while so I’m not even supposed to be pregnant. My test results say otherwise but we didn’t do it.” Chioma replies feeling strange. 


“You didn’t do it? Why are you now pregnant? Chioma! Chioma!...  my enemies have finally gotten me..” her mother yells. 


“Ma! Ma!” Chioma answers. 


“Are you sure? Because I don’t understand how you won’t sleep with your fiancé yet you’ll be pregnant. Do you have symptoms of pregnancy?” Her mother asks. 


“Yes mummy. I even went for a test in three different hospitals just to be sure. I honestly don’t know what is going on.”  Chioma responds. 


“Chioma, I am your mother and the only one that can understand you, tell me the truth. Did you have an affair?” Her mother asks. 


“Mummy, I didn’t. I can’t wait this long to do such a thing. I don’t know how come I became pregnant.” Chioma replies with tears eyes. 


“Okay. So why would you go ahead to tell Fola you’re pregnant when it’s not his baby?” Her mother questions. 


“I didn’t tell him. Ifeoma did.” Chioma says. 


“Ifeoma? Why? What’s the meaning of that? Did you ask her to? Why would she intrude in your love life?” Her mother asks angrily. 


“It seems as Ifeoma was never my friend, she said so many mean and terrible things to me over the phone. I can’t believe we’ve been friends for over 10 years. Mummy, I feel as though my world is crumbling. I became pregnant overnight, my fiancé hates me, my best friend betrayed me. Mummy, what should I do? How would I go....” Chioma says as she breaks down in tears. 


“Heeeeeee, it’s okay. You’re my child and we’ve solve this together. We’re going to take a test at your dad’s hospital tomorrow, full blood count. We must get to the root of this matter. You’re stronger than this.” Her mother says patting her thigh gently and continues.. “my enemies would not laugh at me, never have and never will. My daughter, ozuola. Everything would be fine.” Her mothrr assures. 


Meanwhile at Fola’s Apartment..


“Whewww, this has been the hardest job in a while. And I had feelings for her. Feelings?” He says to himself and laughs hysterically, then continues. “Nah, I know I liked her. Maybe just...” just as he’s about to keep soliloquizing, his phone rings. He stares at the screen and sees Ifeoma on it. Hoping she’s not about to start begging on Chioma’s behalf, he picks up reluctantly. 


Fola: Hello..


Ifeoma: Hello Fola dear, how are you today? 


Fola: Ifeoma? 


Ifeoma: Yes, Chioma’s friend. 


Fola: oh, I didn’t even take a look at the screen. I’m doing good. Trying to stay alive. What about you? How are you doing? 


Ifeoma: I’m very fine dear. I know you think I’m calling to beg on behalf of my friend...


Fola: Err, please I don’t think you should. Chioma broke my heart enough..


Ifeoma: I’m not. I’m calling to ask about your poor heart dear. Your state of mind, your well being. Fola,  you might not believe me but I really care about you. 


Fola: Ify, thanks but I think I’ll be fine. I wasn’t expecting what your friend did but what can I say? We end up loving people a bit too much. 


Ifeoma: It was totally wrong. You know my first suspect immediately I found out is that guy she works with, that Olatunde guy. They’ve always had this thing going on, and I can swear I warned Chioma about it. Sometimes I’ll even tell her, Fola is too good for you, but she’ll see it as a joke and I’ll repeatedly say...


Fola: (scoffs) Ify, it’s okay. I just need a break from all of this. Right now, I just need to concentrate on work and my mother. 


Ifeoma: Yes, I understand. Family is everything. Same family I tried to make Chioma keep, but she just couldn’t. I mean, who ruins their wedding just a week to the day? Fola, if you need anything, anything at all. Comfort, food, comp...


Fola: Ify, please! (He slightly yells). I’m tired seriously, I don’t need anything right now...


Ifeoma: I know you’re only heartbroken but I can help with this healing process and in many other ways. I will take care of you...



Fola on the other hand can not take anymore of the unnecessary conversation and hangs up just as Ifeoma keeps talking..


Ifeoma: I would clean, cook, mend that broken.. hello, hello, Fola dear, are you there? Fola love..




Tufia: God forbid 

Ozuola: It’s okay. 








Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts