But I’m not.. Part 3



“Are you really pregnant Chioma?” Fola asks still trying to be calm. 


“My love, who sent this to you?” Chioma asks upset.  


“Does it really matter Chioma? Are you pregnant? Answer the damn question!” Fola yells. 


“Fola, please calm down.” Chioma says trying to get close to Fola who was already standing. “I don’t know if I am. That’s what the test says. My love, I’ve never been more confused in my life.” 


“What do you mean you’re confused? Three hospitals say you’re pregnant with another man’s child obviously and all you can say is ‘you’re confused’? All these a week before the wedding? Couldn’t you control yourself?” Fola asks irritated. 


“Fola, I haven’t been with anyone else, I swear to you. Didn’t we agree to wait till our marriage. Why would I wait this long to break it?” Chioma replies. 


“Because you’re a simply a damn slut, you’ve always been. I should have listened. I should have known better.” Fola says bitterly. 


“Listened to who? Who is feeding you with stories about me?” Chioma asks impatiently 


“Everybody! Everybody warned me about this marriage. Even my mother who is critically ill warned me but I chose to go on with it, now see what I get for choosing you.” Fola says with resent. 


“Your mum is sick? What happened to her? Babe,  you know I wouldn’t do anything to hurt you and more so, our marriage. You have to believe me. I don’t know what’s going on.” Chioma replies in tears. 


“Don’t ask me about my mother and get out of my house now!” He pauses and continues.. “and out of my life. You can go on gallivanting with as many men as you please. I’m sure you don’t know who the father of your child is.” Fola says angrily. 


“Fola, please....” Chioma cries out as she manages to stand up. 


“Don’t make me throw you out myself, so just go in peace.” Fola says. 


Chioma quickly walks out of his house in tears, gets a hold of her phone in her car and dials Ifeoma’s number. No one else knew about the test result asides her. Chioma couldn’t believe her world was crumbling in just a day. 





Chioma: Hello, can you hear me? Ifeoma? 


Ifeoma: Hello, what’s up? 


Chioma: Fola knows about my pregnancy...


Ifeoma: how? When? You just got the results today na! Why did you tell him? 


Chioma: I should be asking you since you’re the only person I told today about it. So tell me how he got to know. 


Ifeoma: What do you mean I should tell you? Is it my result or yours? Abeg, don’t insult me oh. 


Chioma: Are you trying to play games? I didn’t drop Fola’s number in any hospital. He didn’t get one result, but all of them. 


Ifeoma: aceeeee, please don’t call me and be accusing me oh, keep your shit right! Who asked you to do away match? It’s not like he doesn’t deserve to know the truth. 


Chioma: What are you saying Ifeoma? So you sent the results to Fola...... you sna....


Ifeoma: Yes, I did and so? Did I commit a crime? Let the guy breathe, you’re choking him with your dirt. We both know you don’t deserve Fola, with your ratchet dressing and your fake weave. And please, don’t call this number again to disturb me. (And she hangs up before Chioma can say anything) 


Chioma is in her car driving and perplexed with a mix of emotions. “What to do now, where to go, how to solve this situation, what if I’m truly pregnant? what if I was raped? what if I was artificially inseminated? did Ifeoma pay all the hospitals to give me a fake result? Would Fola ever believe me? What would happen to my marriage in a week? Would Ifeoma take my place as the bride? Would I ever be able to redeem my name as the Virgin but pregnant bride? Noooo, the non virgin but celibate pregnant bride then? Even worse because people would believe I’m a slut for real. I mean, who becomes celibate all of a sudden? Has ifeoma been planning this all along? Is this problem from my village people? What if Ifeoma gets married to Fola and has 12 kids...” 


Chioma kept driving and driving and driving without much concern for the road until...





Comments

Popular Posts